Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Inspirational

Lance Armstrong was the most influential athlete in history. Lance went through extensive brain and testicular surgery. He battled testicular cancer before he was crowned Tour De France winner 7 years in a row. The Tour De France is a 23 day, 21 stage bike race that covers 3,500 km of France. Lance is one of the main athletes that have influenced my life, inspired me to become a better athlete. One of my swim coaches used to quote “Pain is temporary, Failure lasts forever.” Lance quoted that when he broke the record of five consecutive wins by Miguel Indurain. When I first heard that quote I was about 10 years old, my swim coach would always say, “Every event is going to be your best, because if you fail you will never get a chance to re-do that race, but you can overcome the pain after, only if you know you have pushed to do your best.” Now this quote is imprinted in my brain, it is something that I will never disregard. He has inspired in ways that no other athlete did, can or will. He has showed me that you can overcome anything, if you set your mind to it.

No comments: